Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fine Wine, To Go.


I asked my friends, many of whom live in New Orleans and the surrounding areas, what to write about.  Several of them messaged me, asking to write about the rampant violence in the city.  Although it is an excellent topic, I can’t throw my heart into it.  Violence in this city has been an ongoing problem for decades.  I love this city; it is a living thing to me.  I would much rather focus on the aspects I adore, and leave the rest to the NOPD.  So, please know, it is still a wonderful place to visit and is still my home, but be aware of your surroundings if you visit here.  Now, onto the lighter side…

                I was driving around the city with my Best Friend, Chell, running errands yesterday.  We decided to stop for a quick lunch.  Being the food snobs that we are, traditional “fast” food is out of the question.  So, we stopped at a local wine merchant because they have a spectacular deli.  And, we found out something delightful:  You can get fine wine in a go-cup.

                The concept of a “go-cup” may be alien to some of you.  (And, to be honest, when I left NOLA, I was shocked to see that this concept was not implemented outside of the state.)  A go-cup is exactly what it sounds like.  If you go to any fast food joint and buy a drink, it is given to you in a “go-cup”, get the idea?  

                Fortunately, in this Fairyland of my home, go-cups are so much more.  See, our bars don’t close and the liquor laws here are a little different.  It is perfectly legal to walk down the street drinking a frosty alcoholic beverage.  If the NOPD enforced a real public drunkenness law, central lockup would be full of housewives.  Also, “open container” laws here for vehicles are a little sketchy.  See, we also have drive-through bars.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Feeling the need for a jello shot at three in the afternoon on the way to carpool?  Just run through the drive-through.   Want a daiquiri on your way home?  Hit the drive-through.  Technically, the way the law works, it isn’t an open container if the straw isn’t in it.  Yes, IT ISN’T AN OPEN CONTAINER IF THERE IS NO STRAW.  Damn, I love this place.

                Say you’re in the bar at 4 a.m.  You and your buddies want to check out the bar down the street.  You don’t want to chug your drink, but you don’t want to waste it.  No problem; ask the bartender for a go-cup, pour it in, and sip as you walk down the street. Delightful.  Or, in my case, you can stop for a deli sandwich, sipping Cabernet Sauvignon while you wait.  The sandwich is done quickly, but I’m a freaking lady.  I don’t chug wine.  No problem: here is a go-cup.  Spectacular.  

                There is a saying here, “We aren’t alcoholics, we’re from Louisiana.”  I know, I know, start the spiteful comments now; alcoholism isn’t a joke.  I grew up with one as a parent; it sucks.  However, we really don’t see alcohol the same way here as other people do.  Cocktails after work, wine with dinner, cocktails before bed.  Some people roll that way.  You can’t walk a block in this town without running into a bar.  It’s just the way it is, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.  

                When I was in high school, the law changed and the drinking age was changed from 18 to 21.  There was uproar.  I remember it well.  It didn’t stop us, though; it just made us more creative.  I grew up with Bourbon Street.  You can’t keep teenagers out of the Quarter.  Besides, the most common cure for teething babies around here is a bit of whiskey on the gums.  Works like a charm and lasts quite a while longer than Orajel.  My parents did it for me, and most of my friends did it for their children.  Louisianans don’t view alcohol in the same way.    It isn’t taboo here.  

                So if you find yourself in a drinking dilemma here in the city, don’t fret.   Please, don’t be an animal and chug.  A good cocktail is to be sipped and savored.  Just ask for a go-cup.  We like a little trash with our class.  

Cheers, Y’all.


P.S.  Chell is an amazing photographer and she and I will be collaborating on some projects soon.  Stay tuned for TWO Princesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember, I do this for fun. Note no ads on this site. Please be nice and respectful to other commenters. Show them your southern hospitality.